St. Malachi Race Recap (and a winner!)
I didn’t sleep very well Friday night due to my nerves, but knowing that I’d be representing Team Sparkle Skirt traveling skirts with Kimi put some fun into the race for me. It helped me not focus so much on the 5 miles of hills I’d soon be facing.
And as funny as it sounds, the massive crowds of people actually helped calm my nerves. There wasn’t a lot of time to wait around for the race to start once I got through the port-a-potty line. There was just enough time to snap a few photos and then head to the starting line.
Running (and real life!) friends, Christie and Kimi
Before I knew it the bell rang and we were off.
Whoever designed this course was not fooling around. Holy hella hills. Cleveland is a relatively flat city, but this race runs through hill after hill after hill.
- Mile 1 = 8:22 This isn’t so bad. I feel good! Wait, ouch, that guy just kicked my right ankle. Crap, not my ankle! Stupid guy. Get out of my way.
- Mile 2 = 8:07 Wow. Is my ankle ok? It seems fine. Stop focusing on it and just run. Are these guys mad that a girl in a sparkly skirt is passing them? I kinda hope so. Suck it, boys.
- Mile 3 = 8:47 Ok, this is starting to blow. Plus, I’m going to have to go back up that hill I just came down. Just hang on, Heather, hang on.
- Mile 4 = 8:48 Suck it up, Heather. Breathe, breathe, breathe. Don’t look at the upcoming hill. Don’t look.
- Mile 5 = 8:00 OMG, I.want.to.die. And who’s touching me? Oh, hey Andy. Don’t talk to me, I’m concentrating on not dying. Go ahead. How the hell is he running so fast up this hill right now? Showoff. But, wait, there’s the finish line. RUN!!!!!
Final time = 42:05 (8:25/mile pace). Shut up. The last time I ran Malachi I ran a 44:50! I can’t tell you the last time I PR’d at a race so this felt pretty damn good. It’s coming back, my friends, it’s coming back………
Congrats to everyone who ran Malachi (and to anyone who raced this weekend!), I hear there were a ton of PR parties happening. Love it.
Oh, the winner of the FREE LARABARs is:
Congrats, Jeni!!!! Email me your mailing address by tomorrow night and I’ll pass it on to the people from LARABAR!!
Hope everyone had a great weekend! Have you PR’d lately?