I have this problem. Even though training JUST started for the Chicago Marathon, I can’t help but think “what’s next?”.
I have a tendency to get bored with things pretty easily so I’m not really surprised by what’s been going on in my head lately, but it causes problems. Because I start to dream big. Like, real big. Like, Ironman big.
And Ironman’s cost money. Lots of money. You’re traveling 100′s of miles not to go on vacation, but to push yourself through 140.6 miles of blood, sweat, and (probably) tears. And after 140.6 miles I really don’t think I’ll be up for much sight seeing. So poor J would be coming on this trip to watch me stress the hell out, go to bed early every night, and talk about the race every minute of our “vacation”. Which, for people like me is pretty normal, but for him, not so much.
But the conversation has begun.
- Me: Soooo…….I started looking into Ironman’s for next year. Cool, right?
- J: Oh, yeah?
- Me: Yeah, I need to decide since registration is basically a year in advance and I need that much time to train.
- J: Oh, yeah?
- Me: Yeah, I was thinking either Arizona or Florida. They seem to be the flattest of the races and are both in the later part of the year.
- J: Huh. So what would I do when we’re there?
- Me: You? Not sure. Be the coolest husband there and cheer the loudest?
- J: Huh. Sounds fun.
I know it’s a HUGE (huger than huge!) commitment (training for an Ironman is like having a second job!), so before I can decide anything J and I have to be on the same page. Which, let’s be honest, could take awhile.
It’s so scary to think about, but so awesome at the same time.
So I’m giving myself a deadline. If 2013 isn’t my year, then 2014 is it. I WILL do this. And now I have you guys to hold me accountable.
Are you a “next big thing” person like me? Or do you stay in the moment?