5 Tips To Stay Motivated
These days I find it hard to stay motivated to run. And since I’m running the Rite Aid Cleveland 10k in May I should probably get a move on already!
So, here’s what I do to stay on track when I find myself lacking motivation:
- Keep track of my progress. I have a cork board in our “gym” (i.e. the room with the treadmill!) with my most current training schedule. It helps when I see a red “X” on the days I completed. The more red X’s the better!
- Give myself a break. Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed. Period. So, if I’m feeling this way, I’ll give myself 3 or 4 days or rest instead of 1 or 2. Helps me reset and, most of the time, I’m itching to get back at it after 4 days!
- Break it up. I have a hard time thinking in terms of time (especially with running now that I do shorter Crossfit workouts most of the time). So, instead, I break it up. I’ll do a 1 mile warmup and then break the middle up into 400m intervals and then finish with a half mile cool down. The time flies by!
- Make it fun. I love to play loud music and sing/dance along, run with a friend, or even race around the track with C. Whatever it takes to keep me to smiling!
- Make it a family affair. My most favorite runs always include the boys. We run, talk, catch up, and sweat – all in normally 30 minutes or less. When it happens, it’s my favorite 30 minutes of my day!
What do you do to stay motivated??